House of the Dragon debuted by signing the new record for the largest number of viewers for the first episode of a debut series, in anticipation of the next episodes we have decided to provide you with a quick and practical guide to the cast of the Game of Thrones prequel.
Inspired by George RR Martin’s novel ‘Fire and Blood’, in fact, the series will focus on the well-known event in the history of Westeros as the “Dance of Dragons”, the battle for the succession to the Iron Throne: as per tradition, however, the characters that will appear will be many, belonging to numerous families of Westeros, and in some cases they will even have the faces of different actors (due to time jumps). So here it is the list of the protagonists of House of the Dragondivided by families:
- King Viserys I Targaryen – played by Paddy Considine, Viserys is the grandson of Jaehaerys I Targaryen and is considered one of the greatest kings in the history of the continent.
- Rhaenyra Targaryen – played by Milly Alcock in the first episode and Emma D’Arcy as an adult, she is the eldest daughter of Viserys: as seen in the first episode, the king unleashes dissent at the court when he chooses her as heir to the throne, decreeing the first time that a woman will sit on the Iron Throne.
- Daemon Targaryen – played by Matt Smith, an unparalleled but impulsive and unreliable warrior, he is the brother of King Viserys and legitimate heir to the throne according to the male-dominated traditions of the kingdom.
- Aegon Targaryen – played by Tom Glynn-Carney, with Jake and Rory Heard playing the younger version in flashback scenes. In the books on which the show is based, he leads an army against Rhaenyra.
- Aemond Targaryen – played by Ewan Mitchell, he is another son of Viserys, is the half-brother of Rhaenyra and is recognizable by his distinctive eye patch.
- Helaena Targaryen – played by Phia Saban, she is the daughter of Viserys and Alicent Hightower, which makes her the sister of Aegon and Aemond. In the book ‘Fire and Blood’, Helaena is described as being particularly popular with ordinary people across the Western Continent.
- Baela Targaryen – played by Bethany Antonia, she is Daemon’s daughter and her mother is Laena Velaryon. In the book, she was the twin sister of …
- Rhaena Targaryen – played by Phoebe Campbell: she and Baela in the book ‘Fire and Blood’ were twins, but in the TV series the detail has been changed by making Rhaena Baela’s younger sister.
- Otto Hightower – played by Rhys Ifans, he is the Hand of the King, a position he previously held for Jaehaerys I and which he continues to occupy today for the reign of Viserys. He is also the father of …
- Alicent Hightower – played by Emily Carey as a young man and Olivia Cooke as an adult. Introduced in the first episode, she will become one of the main characters of the TV series.
- Corlys Velaryon – played by Steve Toussaint, he is also known as the Sea Serpent and is the head of House Velaryon which, like House Targaryen, is originally from Valyria. He is known throughout the Western Continent for his legendary travels, which have led him to great discoveries and adventures (if all goes according to the currently known plans, he will also be the protagonist of one of the new spin offs of Game of Thrones currently under development). Today he is on the king’s council and, married to a Targaryen, will accept Viserys’ decision to appoint his daughter Rhaenyra as heir to the throne.
- Rhaenys Targaryen in Velaryon – played by Eve Best, she is the so-called queen who was not: daughter of King Aemon, son of Jaehaerys, she was bypassed in line of succession as a woman.
- Laena Velaryon – played by Savannah Steyn, she is the daughter of Corlys and Rhaenys, a dragon rider described in the book as being exceptionally beautiful.
- Laenor Velaryon – played by John Macmillian and Theo Nate, depending on the timeline. Laenor is Laena’s brother and another dragon knight.
- Vaemond Velaryon – played by Wil Johnson, is Corlys’ younger brother, and commander of the Velaryon navy.
- Jacaerys Velaryon – played by Harry Collett, he is the son of Rhenyra Targaryen and Laenor Velaryon.
- Lady Mysaria – played by Sonoya Mizuno, she comes from Lys and is Daemon Targaryen’s lover and advisor.
- Criston Cole – played by Fabien Frankel, one of the best knights in Westeros.
- Rickard Stark – played by David Hounslow, Guardian of the North during the reign of Viserys who appeared in the first episode of House of the Dragon. His father was the former Guardian of the North and Lord of House Stark, Benjen Stark. He is Eddard Stark’s great great great grandfather.
- Jason Lannister and Tyland Lannister – both played by Jefferson Hall, twins of the Lannister house.
- Lyonel Strong – played by Gavin Spoakes, is the current Lord of Harrenhal and serves on the council of King Viserys.
- Harwin “Breakbones” Strong – played by Ryan Corr, is the eldest son of Lord Lyonel.
- Larys Strong – played by Matthew Needham, is one of Lord Lyonel’s youngest sons.
- The Grand Master Mellos – played by David Horovitch, he is one of Viserys’ most trusted advisors and holds a role similar to that of Grand Master Pycelle de Game of thrones.
- Harrold Westerling – portrayed by Graham McTavish, Ser Harrold is a knight of the Kingsguard. He has few mentions in the books, but HBO has described him as a chivalrous and honorable character.
- Lyman Beesbury – played by Bill Paterson, is the Lord of Honeyholt, sits on the council of as the master of coinage.
For other contents, retrieve the Official House of the Dragon trailer.