Before participating in this horror anthology, many of the participants had produced great works
Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities I was very pleasantly surprised. Netflix’s horror anthology is refreshing in a year plagued by repetitive and boring premieres. The passion of each of the directors is evident in the script and the staging of the episodes.
One of the most important works of William of the Bull as producer of cabinet of curiosities was to select these directors. That is why many of them have careers full of interesting projects that resemble their anthology chapters. Here are the best I could find:
Vincenzo Natali – Cube
- Cube It’s one of the most interesting horror movies I’ve ever seen. ❗
- The plot follows a group of people who meet trapped in a cubic maze. ✅
- Danger surrounds them on all sides as every room they enter is filled with deadly traps. ❌
- Even though it doesn’t have a huge budget, I think the acting and staging are very good. ⚡
- if you liked it The Squid Game You can not miss it. ❤
David Prior – The Empty Man
The Empty Man has a very interesting style of horror. Instead of using some kind of bloodthirsty psychopath or terrifying monster, use an ancient myth of mountains as a source of seal. This gives it a more earthy feel, which is very unsettling since we don’t know where the danger ends. The beginning of the film is great and prepares us for the horrifying story that we are about to witness.
Jennifer Kent – The Nightingale
- This talented director is also known for the Babadook, but I wanted to show you a less famous tape. ❓
- Although it was not as well received as other projects of Kent, The Nightingale is one of his best works. ❗
- In this powerful film we follow Claire, a young woman seeking revenge for the murder of her family. ⚡
- It has a great staging and very good performances. ✅
Catherine Hardwicke – Twilight
- This saga of books and movies got a real legion of fans in 2008. ⚡
- If you were teenagers during that time, surely you have seen them a couple of times. ✅
- Even so, I found it very interesting that one of those selected directed the first film. ❓
- it’s amazing to see its evolution to the more adult themes of The Cabinet of Curiosities by Guillermo del Toro. ❗
If you are not familiar with this series of films (something that seems almost impossible to me), follow a young woman named Beautifulwho falls in love with a vampire. The tapes tell her story and the problems they face because of Edward’s nature. If you are looking for juvenile fantasy you are going to find it here, the saga is full of romance, fights with werewolves and much more.
Panos Cosmatos – Mandy
Although the name of this film does not draw too much attention, you have to believe me when I tell you that it’s unforgettable. In addition, it is also one of those unknown tapes of Nicolas Cage, who returns to show his crazy style of acting. I have seen many of them and I can tell you that she is one of the most intense. However, the staging and performances make his plot about a dangerous satanic cult comes to life.