Zombies, ghosts and serial killers. Werewolves and vampires. Pumpkins, witches and skeletons. We enter one of our favorite months of the year and the body asks us what it asks us. Fear. Scares. Screaming and jumping on the couch. A movie and blanket plan with a very specific theme. For this reason we will review The best genre movies you can find on Netflix during these days. Ten recommendations that are guaranteed to have a bad time and at the same time have a good time. Because human beings are like that. Incomprehensible. Strangers. terrifying.
- Duration: 100 minutes (1 hour and 40)
- Directed by James Wan and written by him and Leigh Whannell
- Year 2000
- IMDb Score: 7.6
- Would you like it if… you’re a fan of unexpected twist endings.
Synopsis: “Adam wakes up chained inside a decrepit underground chamber. Beside him is another chained person, Dr. Lawrence Gordon. Among them is a dead man. Neither of them knows why he is there, but they have a cassette with instructions for Dr. Gordon to kill Adam within eight hours. Recalling a murder investigation conducted by a detective named Tapp, Gordon discovers that he and Adam are victims of a psycho known as Jigsaw. They only have a few hours to unravel the complicated puzzle in which they are immersed.”
A peaceful place
- Duration: 90 minutes (1 hour and 30)
- Directed by John Krasinski and written by him, Bryan Woods and Scott Beck
- Year: 2018
- IMDb Score: 7.5
- Would you like it if… you want to see a different approach to horror.
Synopsis: “In a world invaded and devastated by deadly aliens Guided by sound, Evelyn and Lee Abbott survive with their children on an isolated farm in the woods, immersed in the deepest silence. As long as they don’t make noise, they’ll be safe“.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- Duration: 128 minutes (2 hours and 8)
- Directed by Francis Ford Coppola and written by James V. Hart
- Year: 1992
- IMDb Score: 7.4
- Would you like it if… you are not afraid of the great classics of cinema.
Synopsis: “In the year 1890, young lawyer Jonathan Harker travels to a lost castle in Transylvania, where he meets Count Dracula, who in 1462 lost his love, Elisabeta. The earl, fascinated by a photograph of Mina Murray, Harker’s girlfriend, who reminds him of his Elisabeta, travels to London “crossing oceans of time” to meet her. Already in England, tries to conquer and seduce LucyMina’s best friend.
- Duration: 78 minutes (1 hour and 18)
- Directed by Paco Plaza and Jaume Balagueró and written by both and Luiso Berdejo
- Year 2007
- IMDb Score: 7.4
- Would you like it if… you want to see what Spanish cinema is capable of.
Synopsis: “Every night, Ángela, a young local television reporter, follows a different professional group with her camera. Tonight she has to interview the firefighters and has the secret hope of being able to attend live a shocking fire. But the night passes quietly. And when, finally, they receive a call from an old woman who has been locked up in her house, she has no choice but to follow them for the rescue mission. In the building where the old woman lives, the neighbors are very scared. The woman, locked in her apartment, makes heartbreaking screams… It’s only the beginning of a long nightmare and a dramatic report unique in the world“.
Do not breathe
- Duration: 88 minutes (1 hour and 28)
- Directed by Fede Alvarez and written by him and Rodo Sayagues
- Year: 2016
- IMDb Score: 7.1
- You’ll like it if… you want to meet a good psychopath.
Synopsis: “A group of young thieves think they have found an opportunity to commit the perfect stole. His target will be a lonely blind man with thousands of hidden dollars. But as soon as they enter his house they will be aware of his mistake, for they will find themselves trapped and fighting for survival against a psychopath with its own fearsome secrets.
- Duration: 85 minutes (1 hour and 25)
- Directed by Matt Reevees and written by Drew Goddard
- Year 2008
- IMDb Score: 7
- Would you like it if…. You are hooked by handheld camera movies.
Synopsis: “The night several young New Yorkers throw a friend’s going-away party in Manhattan, a monster the size of a skyscraper arrives in the city. Told from the point of view of the camcorder of one of them, this is the chilling document about his attempts to survive during the most incredible and terrifying moments of their lives.
- Duration: 92 minutes (1 hour and 32)
- Directed and written by Robert Eggers
- Year: 2015
- IMDb Score: 6.9
- You’ll like it if… You like the director of The Lighthouse and The Northman.
Synopsis: “New England, 1630. A couple of Christian settlers, with five children, lives near a forest which, according to popular belief, is dominated by evil. When the newborn son disappears and the crops fail to grow, the family members rebel against each other: a supernatural evil lurks in the nearby forest“.
- Duration: 103 minutes (1 hour and 43)
- Directed by James Wan and written by Leigh Whannell
- Year 2010
- IMDb Score: 6.8
- You’ll like it if… you want to jump on the couch.
Synopsis: “Josh (Patrick Wilson), his wife Renai (Rose Byrne) and their three children have just moved into an old house. But after an unfortunate accidentone of the children goes into a coma and, at the same time, they begin to occur in the house strange phenomena that terrify the family“.
Emily Rose’s exorcism
- Duration: 119 minutes (1 hour and 59)
- Directed by Scott Derrickson and written by him and Paul Harris Boardman
- Year 2005
- IMDb Score: 6.7
- You’ll like it if… you want to mix reality and fiction without knowing which is which.
Synopsis: “The Catholic Church made an unusual decision to officially recognize demonic possession of a young woman 19 year old American student. Emily Rose leaves the safety of her rural home to attend college. One night, alone in her bedroom, she experiences her first terrifying hallucination and loses consciousness. As these experiences become more frequent and intense, Emily, a devout Catholic, decides to turn to a priest and undergo an exorcism that cost him his life. Father Moore is then charged with negligent homicide. Erin Bruner, a brilliant lawyer, reluctantly agrees to take over his defense. As the trial progresses, Erin’s cynicism and atheism are shaken by Father Moore’s unwavering faith and the facts, creepy and inexplicablesurrounding the case”.
Trilogy the street of terror
- Duration: 107, 109 and 114 minutes
- Directed by Leigh Janiak and written by Kyle Killen, Phil Graziadei, Zak Olkewicz and Kate Trefry
- Year: 2021
- IMDb score: 6.2; 6.7 and 6.6
- You’ll like it if… You are looking for a horror saga.
Synopsis: “In 1994, a group of teenagers discover that the events that terrorize your city for generations they could be connected. In addition, it may now be their turn to star in the nightmare. First part of the trilogy based on the famous horror novels by RL Stine“.
Bonus Premiere: Wendell and Wild
- Departs October 28
- Duration: 105 minutes (1 hour and 45)
- Directed by Henry Selick and written by him and Jordan Peele
- Year: 2022
- IMDb Score: 6.8
- you will like it if… you fell in love with Coraline and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Synopsis: “Two demon brothers, Wendell and Wild, must confront their archenemy, the demon hunter nun Sister Helly, and her two acolytes, the gothic teenagers Kat and Raul.”